Every once in a while it’s good to pause and take stock and that’s what this post is about. I made a list of fiber-related goals for 2013 to keep me on track and I figured once a quarter I’ll assess what I’ve accomplished.
If we’re being honest, my designing took a bit of a back seat as I started my new job, moved to RI, and was generally just settling into new routines. Not much on my list has been accomplished yet, but I’m ready to start getting into it again. I’ve held back a bit lately because I entered into The Fiber Factor competition and was waiting to see if I’d be chosen or not, since that would’ve taken up the next 6 months of my design time! I didn’t get into the competition but I am in the ‘meet the applicants’ video for a few seconds in case you’re curious to hear what I sound like when I’m feeling awkward and rushed before leaving for a road trip (at 4:43 min). Onto the goals:
- publish a Malabrigo Quickie–DONE!
- publish a design with Cephalopod Yarns (in progress)
- publish a design with KnitPicks
- publish in an online or print magazine
- finish and publish 4 more socks for my How I Met Your Mother series (2 in progress)
- design a shawl
- finish mitten design
I have the yarn for KnitPicks already and have my eye on a couple of submissions so I think I can make some more progress soon. I’m also planning on jumping back into my Lilypad Socks design, especially now that it’s spring. They’re actually nearly done I’ve just sort of, um, misplaced them during the move and need a bit of time to concentrate on the last fiddly bits (once I find them again).
- finish 50 projects this year (17 complete so far)
- finish (or frog) all of my ancient WIPs
- finish 13 SG/VG/CY projects in 2013 (4 complete so far)
- finish my First Garment vest (in progress)
- work on my (long neglected) sock yarn opus
- knit a pair of toe-up socks
- knit a pair of colorwork socks
- knit a pair of socks from handspun yarn
I’ve made excellent progress towards finishing 50 projects this year, with 17 already done since January, beginning with the Official Zig-A-Zig project. Most of them were small but they still count! I’ve also gotten a decent start on finishing 13 SG/VG/CY project in 2013 (3 of which can be old WIPs) of which I’ve completed 4 new projects so far. I have, however, made dismal progress on finishing or frogging my ancient WIPs, seeing as I’ve been knitting only new stuff. I’m remedying that right now by resurrecting my Beautiful Briny Sea shawl:
|SG and CY Bugga, colorways Box Jellyfish and Blue-Ringed Octopus|
I stalled out on the ribbing at the bottom of the shawl because I got off by a stitch with all of the M1 increases that were going on, but I’ve tinked back and am ready to tackle the last few inches. Plus, I should really finish this shawl while the sneakers that match it are still wearable!
- spin a truly worsted-style skein using combed prep and short forward draw
- spin a truly woolen-style skein using carded prep and long draw—DONE!
- spin a skein of 3-ply sock yarn
- spin a skein of laceweight 2-ply on my spindle (in progress)
After I spin the lovely gradient kit that I recently purchased, I will start on the worsted-style skein using this gorgeous Gotland fiber:
|from Two Sisters Stringworks|
So that’s the plan! Overall, I’m happy with the progress I’ve made but do very much need to address the hibernating WIPs situation. Twenty-eight is far too many. Did you make a list of goals for 2013? How are you faring?